Monday, March 05, 2012

REVIEW: The Look by Sophia Bennett


Title: The Look by Sophia Bennett
Pages: 325
Publisher: Chicken House
Publication Date: 1st March, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Chicken House (For review)


Summary (Goodreads):
Ted is fifteen, and...oh yes...tall. When she's spotted by a model agency, she can't believe it.

At the same time, Ted's fashionista sister, Ava, is diagnosed with cancer. With her world turned upside down, Ted has a lot of growing up to do, some of it in five-inch platforms. Should she be the model sister for Ava? Life in front of the camera is harder than it looks. And will they still be smiling when it’s over?
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of The Look ever since I heard that Sophia Bennett was writing a new book! I absolutely fell in love with Bennett's Threads trilogy, and I fell in love with The Look too.

Firstly: Sophia Bennett = awesome.
Secondly: modelling. I have a little obsession with America's Next Top Model and OMG TYRA BANKS so YESSSSS.
Thirdly: fabulous cover, much?

I can't really explain why exactly I love this book, but I *do*. It might be cuz of the fact that unlike nearly every single book I've read since the start of 2012, the protagonist was actually the same age as me. I'm only fifteen, and most of the YA fiction I read is American and the main character's in those novels are most often that not 17+. I felt like I could honestly relate to Ted, as well as some of the other minor characters, and that just made me feel really happy and teenager-y and that is probably not what a normal teenager would say, but I guess we can all agree on the fact that I am not normal (but I am so cool with it. I am AWESOME).

Ted was so the type of girl I would love to be friends with. I really wish she was real! Ted adores her older sister Ava, and it's heartbreaking when Ava is diagnosed with cancer. The two are pretty close, and it's Ava who pushes Ted towards trying out the modelling, mostly as a distraction for the two of them. The scenes with Ava and Ted were so fantastic, I absolutely loved the sister-ly relationship they had. There was this one part that totally messed me up (for people who've read this: the trying on of clothes and HAIR stuff?!) and Sophia Bennett's skill to do that to me is too amazing for words.

I loved the modelling aspect of the book. I mentioned above how much I love ANTM and one the reasons for that is, because I LOVE looking at the photos that come out of it, whilst most of my friends thinks it's superficial rubbish. I am one of those people could who could just talk about one photograph of one person for ages. I thought it was great that Ted wasn't all just about the photoshoots, but enjoyed the photos too, and she even had a try with her own photographs, which was pretty awesome!

The Look wasn't just a book about modelling, no, it was also about dreams and family and lots of other super-awesome stuff. The Look was fun in places and heart-warming in others and just really, really lovely. You really should read it. I have helpfully linked to three places where you can purchase it.

(I would've loved to see Nick a little bit more because he was just awesomeness, but I'm happy with what I already have so...)

(p.s. I do realise that my review doesn't actually tell you anything about anything, I wrote it super fast because I had so many thoughts and I need to go reread the threads series and all you need to know is that this is a really awesome book that you MUST read.)

♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. I loved the fact Ted was the same age as me [almost] and, you're right, it definitely made her easier to interact with.
    And, yes, the cover is awesome.
    I love that Ted also gets behind the camera, I could see her doing that as a job when she's older [maybe we could find out, with a sequel...?].
    Great review, I understand what you were saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Iffath! Thank you so much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one Iffath! I'm really looking forward to reading it heard only good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything in this review. Just all of it. And yes, I wanted more Nick too! ;) But Ted was amazing, and the bit with hair almost had me tearing up it was so sweet :3 Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home