Wednesday, March 14, 2012

REVIEW: Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Title: Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Pages: 304
Publisher: Amulet Books (imprint of Abrams)
Publication Date: 1st March, 2012
Format: eGalley
Source: Netgalley (for review)


Summary (Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Greg has managed to become part of every social group at his Pittsburgh high school without having any friends, but his life changes when his mother forces him to befriend Rachel, a girl he once knew in Hebrew school who has leukemia.
I've been so curious about this book since Carla posted about it on her blog and basically said that it was totally awesome.

Just before I started reading it, I did question myself on whether or not that I would like it, because I read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green a couple of months ago and it was a 'cancer book' and I just wondered if there was anything that could top it. But I realised that the situation was totally different because I love John Green and his books, and I guess you could say I kinda loved TFiOS by default because of that, so I tried to read this without any expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The novel is told from the point of view of Greg Gaines, a teenager who tries his best not to be part of a specific high school clique, with little success in the dating department. He guides us through his life as he finds out Rachel, a girl he knew when he was younger, is diagnosed with cancer, and we see the pair become friends again.

The short is that I really enjoyed Me and Earl and the Dying Earl. It was extremely different from what I thought it'd be like, and most of the time it didn't even feel like one of those 'cancer books,' because it kinda stepped away from all the drama that would surround somebody getting cancer, if you know what I mean. It wasn't particularly emotional or sappy, but highlighted humour more and I really liked that. And it still managed to sound completely realistic and believable.

I loved how it avoided the cliches of a cancer book, and how Greg was allowed to be a bit reluctant about about befriending somebody with cancer. There wasn't that feeling of having to glorify somebody who had cancer, and the book wasn't just like "OMG, what a tragic situation we have found ourselves in." This is probably going to sound really heartless of me, but I dislike the fact that if say, somebody gets a terminal illness or something, you *have* to be incredibly nice and lovely to them because they might be dying. Does it really matter? It's sad and upsetting that they might die, but does that mean I have to be their best friend, even if I don't like them? Er, yeah. (but Greg did like Rachel, or, he used to haha, so it was all good).

Greg's character was fantastic, and he's somebody I would love to call a friend. Earl made me laugh loads, and I don't know if I'd say that I really connected to him exactly, but I did like him. I can't really explain why--you'll have to read the book! And the two boys together were great. That one scene with the noodles and their teacher... *giggles*


Me and Earl and The Dying Girl was, in a word, awesome. It was honest, heartfelt, and completely crazy at times! Just about the whole book I was laughing so hard my stomach actually started hurting. There was dialogue in script-format and lists (<3) and I thought it was a fresh, exciting way of conveying what life would be like if you had a friend who had cancer. I look forward to reading more of Jesse Andrews' writing! Thank you to Amulet Books and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this very ecletic and fabulous book for review.


Also: that cover is so freakin' awesome I LOVES IT. It's like, almost, almost as good as the book itself. You can see an interview that Cappilya aka The Cover Girl did with the author ALL ABOUT IT: http://thatcovergirl.com/2011/12/07/authorthoughts-me-and-earl-and-the-dying-girl/.

♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. Really want to get my hands on this one - it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home