Saturday, May 26, 2012

REVIEW: Bringing The Summer by Julia Green

Title: Bringing The Summer by Julia Green
Pages: 272
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 10th May, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)

It’s the lazy end of summer and Freya is about to start her A levels. Her brother Joe died a year ago, but she is slowly coming to terms with his death. She is beginning to feel ready for something new – a change. And then a railway accident brings her into contact with the gorgeous Gabe. Freya is drawn not just to his blond good looks, but everything about him, including his large, shambolic, warm and loving family, which seems to Freya so different from her own.

And then Gabe’s clearly troubled older brother makes it clear he is interested in Freya – and Freya has some decisions to make about what she really wants. 

 --Goodreads summary

I've read two books by Julia Green before, Hunters Heart which really made me think and Drawing With Light which I absolutely adored. Adored as in, now I really really REALLY want to go to Bath Spa University to study Creative Writing JUST because Julia Green lectures there. If only. 

Needless to say, I was really looking forward to Green's new book. However, I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would. The plot was very good and I got really into the story. I liked Freya, but felt like I couldn't totally connect her. I can't compare this to how she was in the companion novel to this, Breathing Underwater because I haven't read that yet (see note at the bottom). I really liked Gabes, I felt like he was good for Freya, so bubbly and genuinely caring. Theo...intrigued me. There was just something about him. He was, to an extent, the opposite of Gabes and I thought their contrasting personalities working. Although, I did think he was pretty messed-up in most of the story. Not that that's a bad thing. (um, have you seen me?). And Birdy! Even though her character wasn't actually in the story, I loved her. Her presence in the novel was quite big, with various characters being affected by her life and her death in a bunch of different ways. She brought the darkness to this light story and I thought it was the perfect touch.

Freya's thoughts about Gabes' family was also pretty interesting to see. They were very different to her own family, and the whole situation felt like something I could probably relate to. Green's writing was so vivid and picturesque--her descriptions of Christmas at Gabes' in particular! It would be so awesome to spend Christmas in their lovely, warm home, if I, y'know, celebrated it.

Overall, while Bringing The Summer is not my favourite Green book, it's still a fantastic read. I think the atmosphere felt more winter-spring-ish, than summer to me, but Bringing The Summer is fun to read at any time of the year! It didn't wow me like I thought it would, but I do recommend it.

Note: I didn't know this was the companion to Breathing Underwater until I started, and I hadn't read that so wasn't sure if it would be like reading a sequel, but it was fine. Bringing The Summer can probably be read as a standalone, but it would be helpful to read Breathing Underwater beforehand. Must get a copy soon!

"Across the room, the front door to the Pepper House opened and in stumbled a couple, both tall and lanky with bright red hair. "The honeymooners," Frederick whispered."

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Guess what? I go to Bath Spa University and study creative writing :) She teaches on the MA though. I'm going to meet her on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Sophie! Exciting.
    Loved reading this great review, Iffath. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home