Friday, June 29, 2012

REVIEW: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Pages: 421
Publisher: Razorbill UK
Publication Date: 23rd August, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)


Sydney protects vampire secrets - and human lives.

Sydney belongs to a secret group who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the world of humans and vampires.

But when Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, she fears she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. What unfolds is far worse. The sister of Moroi queen Lissa Dragomir is in mortal danger, and goes into hiding. Now Sydney must act as her protector.

The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one...

 --Goodreads summary


*may contain minor spoilers*

I don't think I even need to explain how excited I was to read this. As you probably know, I am a fairly recent (in the past two years-ish Vampire Academy fan. A MEGA FAN though, because ZOMG I LOVE VAMPIRE ACADEMY. AND ROSE AND DIMITRI AND ADRIAN = <3 <3 <3. I was sad when the series ended, but super excited when Richelle Mead announced she was writing a spin-off series, because, HEY, MOAR ROSE AND DIMITRI FOR ME. And Adrian, of course!

As you may also know, (I don't know, do you guys even pay attention to the rubbish that comes out of my mouth?!) I was away all summer last year, so I didn't get to read this as soon as the lovely Penguin people sent me a copy, but I read it when I got back and thought it was pretty awesome.

Bloodlines is narrated by Alchemist Sydney Sage, who I don't think I've talked about before (in like, my Last Sacrifice review back in late 2010!). We were first introduce to Sydney in Last Sacrifice, and I felt like I didn't know enough about her to have a solid opinion, but I thought that everything she did for Rose was really good. Sydney is what I call a Good Person. She likes to do what she believes is right, even though she might get in trouble for it. Like when she did that stuff for Rose. She was later accused by the other Alchemists of being too close to the vampires/becoming friendly with them, even though Rose was actually innocent and Sydney helped proved that, she had no way of knowing if she really was innocent, and thus she is seen as a bit of a traitor. 

Sydney's narration is extremely different from Rose's. The girls themselves are quite different in character which is why I was actually surprised when they worked together, but they made a great team. I liked Sydney in Bloodlines, I really did, although at times I think she came across as being really naive. I mean, I understand that even though she's human, she had a very different upbringing than other humans her age, but still. There were time when I really just wanted to shout at her for her stupidity and blatant ignorance for the magic stuff that the Moroi did. I mean, she knows that it happens and she should be used to it whatever, but instead of keeping neutral, she like, voiced her opinions really loudly and made it clear that she wanted to have nothing to do with their magic even when they wanted to use it to help HER. Yeah, I thought it was refreshing that she DID stand up to them and not let them bully her (even when they weren't), but it annoyed me a bit.

Adrian? I used to think Adrian Ivashkov was the really dark, sketchy dude but he's totally grown on me. First, I didn't know what it was about this boy that had other VA fans so entranced, but being able to see his softer side was interesting, and the pain he was going through over his rejection from Rose was There's something about his arrogance and wit that's really quite charming and I have to admit that Adrian's presence in Bloodlines was like, the best thing.

The storylines were interesting and full of tension. There was the big thing with Jill being hidden so people wouldn't try to kill her and therefore get her sister Lissa off the throne and I'm glad that the whole focus wasn't just on her. I love how we are granted permission into the secret world of the Alchemists. I really enjoyed learning more about what exactly they do and how they work, even though it's really creepy. They're like...I don't know, it's hard to describe. But you really wouldn't want to mess with the Alchemists. Also, the dialogue was awesome, as expected from Richelle Mead.

I thought the story lacked a bit in action though. One of the reasons I love the Vampire Academy series so much is for the action scenes that Mead excels at. In Bloodlines, there's kinda one big action part near the end, and that's pretty much it. I expected more to say the least, but I think that one near the end was written very well so it kind makes up for it.

In my opinion, Bloodlines did not disappoint, just brought the Vampire Academy fandom even more awesomeness to fangirl over.I know there's been a mixed reaction, but i'd say this is well worth reading.

And despite enjoying the story and all the new characters and everything, it was the very last line that gave me the most thrill. "Dimitri Belikov had arrived." like AHHHHHHHHHHH. ACCIO THE GOLDEN LILY.

"Takes a lot of tries before you hit perefection. He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try."


♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I've fallen in love with Adrian... Dimitri will always be The One, however :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started the Vampire Academy series, and I already love it! I only skimmed over your review because I don't want any spoilers, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THAT LAST LINE! my heart went pitter-patter. :)

    great review, lady! I too am waiting patiently to read The Golden Lily. Okay, not so patiently. I NEEDS IT!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home