Saturday, June 16, 2012

REVIEW: Hollow Pike by James Dawson

Title: Hollow Pike by James Dawson
Pages: 416
Publisher: Indigo
Publication Date: 2nd February, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)

Something wicked this way comes...

She thought she’d be safe in the country, but you can’t escape your own nightmares, and Lis London dreams repeatedly that someone is trying to kill her. Lis thinks she’s being paranoid - after all who would want to murder her? She doesn’t believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn’t believe that anything bad will really happen to her. You never do, do you? Not until you’re alone in the woods, after dark - and a twig snaps... Hollow Pike - where witchcraft never sleeps.

 --Goodreads summary

I have been looking forward to this book for a very, very long time. Why? I'm a HUGE contemporary fan, and it's usually the light, fun ones. The ones set somewhere gorgeous (usually American) in the summer that take my breath away. But in contrast, I LOVE the dark ones that make you question EVERYTHING, which is exactly what Hollow Pike made me do.

In my humble opinion, Dawson got the teenage voices in his novel abolsutely perfect. As a teenager myself, I find it really annoying when people write for this audience and don't get it right. Often, the characters and unauthentic and totally unrelatable, but not in this book, nope. The whole high-school scene was captured excellently. The whole cliqueiness of it? It's all there. The bullying and stuff was all really interesting and pretty shocking when you think about it, because it's real. It actually happens

This book made me gasp and shiver and almost nearly cry. And I'm not really a crier. American YA lit rocks my socks off, but British YA is where it's at right now! Considering this is his debut novel, James Dawson's writing is outstanding. So atmospheric and intense. The writing is rich with detail and mystery, and I seriously can't recommend this one enough. Hollow Pike is a such a stunner of a book.

"The scenes from The Crucible wouldn't be out of place in these woods - the girls dancing around tongues of fire, dark spirits emerging through the smoke. Lis could almost hear the low chants."

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. I'm not usually a massive fan of the whole witchcraft thing, but I've read so many good things about this one, I can't NOT give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't the kind of book I'd usually read, but I'll be o the look out for it now.

    Brilliant review, Iffath!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home