Thursday, June 14, 2012

REVIEW: One Moment by Kristina McBride


Title: One Moment by Kristina McBride
Pages: 272
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: 26th June, 2012
Format: eGalley
Source: Netgalley (for review)

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

 --Goodreads summary

One Moment has been on my radar for a while, a summer read I'd (hopefully) love. But it was really the summer read I was expecting. It was more like Invisible Summer (Hannah Moskowitz) than The Summer I Turned Pretty (Jenny Han)! That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though.

Maggie and her friends are celebrating the end of summer at a nearby cliff, when a dare goes horribly wrong and Maggie's boyfriend Joey ends up dead and Maggie without a clue as to what really happened at the gorge and the immediate events leading up to the accident. The four friends are going to different lengths to deal with this sudden death, the strings holding them together threatening to unravel. Particularly in Joey's best friend, Adam who seems to be gradually disappearing.

I did like Maggie's character. She was grieving for the boyfriend she loved and I really felt for her, but a few times times I felt like I couldn't really relate to her, and felt a weak connection. It was really heart-breaking to see her go through Joey's death and the fact that the memories of what exactly happened to him have been hidden somewhere in her mind and refuse to come out. Adam was a bit too broody, but he seemed like a lovely boy.

I wouldn't call One Moment a mystery, but it certainly had that air to it, which I thought really worked. It had me wanting to read on, faster, so that I could discover the memory that Maggie's mind was repressing. I'm glad that the story didn't just focus on Maggie's grief, and her overcoming the death of her boyfriend, but on Joey life and the secrecy surrounding him. The secret-y bits were awesome! I don't wanna spoil things, but I really enjoyed how McBride portrayed the...betrayals and such, although I kind of predicted the ending.

Unfortunately though, I don't think that for me, One Moment stood out enough. By the end of the book, I felt like it was still lacking something. BUT, I still think that it's an extremely well-written novel, realistic and full of raw emotions.

"Above, leaves fluttered in the moonlight, and I wondered if their whispers were meant for me, if they were imprinted with a code that i needed to decipher. Some kind of important message that would help me get this right."

♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. this is one of the best reviews I've seen of this book. I'm really intrigued by it, too; it sounds REALLY good. I love the quote you pasted--beautiful. :)

    great review, dear! glad you liked it somewhat. it seems like one of those quiet novels that comes and goes.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home