Monday, June 18, 2012

REVIEW: What's Up With Jody Barton by Hayley Long


Title: What's Up With Jody Barton by Hayley Long
Pages: 272
Publisher: Macmillan
Publication Date: 24th May, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)

Me and my sister are twins. She's Jolene and I'm Jody. We've both got brown hair, we're both left-handed and we both have these weirdly long little toes which make us look like long-toed mutants. But apart from that, I'd say we're fairly different. Well, actually, we're a lot different . . . It's hard enough being one half of the world's least identical twins, without both of you falling for the same guy. Jolene's turned flirting into a fine art, but Jody? Not so much. And as if a twinny love triangle wasn't messy enough . . . there's something nobody knows about Jody Barton. Something BIG. Told with the trademark warmth and laugh-out-loud humour of the much-loved LOTTIE BIGGS books, this is a book that will make you think, with a gobsmacking twist you won't believe.
 --Goodreads summary

Hayley Long's Lottie Biggs books are funny, you guys, so I was quite excited to read What's Up With Jody Barton. Even though, I'm like, the only person I know without an actual sense of humour. Mega thank-you to the lovelies of My Kinda Book for sending me a copy for review!

I really don't know what to write in this review because it's difficult to talk about the plot and what happens without giving it all away! So frustrating. Though I have to say it was even more frustrating when I flicked through it after getting it in the post and then accidentally read the Big Twist. I think it kinda ruined the book for me because I started like, looking out for things and I realised how EASY it is to guess the Twist but also really hard!

The illustrations were awesome! There aren't a huge amount of YA books with that feature illustrations and most often than not, the ones that do are tres cool, like this one! At the moment, I'm currently making/writing an interactive YA story with like, illustrations and stuff for my Extended Project Qualification at school so I shall be using this as research too! THANKS HAYLEY LONG <3 The different sizes of text was also really cool and different.

Pour example:


The cover is made of awesome-sauce. When I first saw it, I kinda hated it because it felt like there was too much going on and it was just too bright which is weird because me and bright is like fish and chips. But, it's grown on me and I think it would look fabulous in the middle of like, a really white tee. Marketing girls of Macmillan, please make this happen.

It's probably not something I'd usually read, but it was good. Just not really my kinda thing. There was certain parts of the story that didn't feel very realistic to me though, for example the slang. Some of those words I've never heard of in my life, but I'm guessing it was a Yorkshire thing? And sometimes Jolene felt really over-the-top to me and not like somebody that I would actually meet in real life. I dunno. I think younger teens will really enjoy this, particularly Jacqueline Wilson and Cathy Cassidy fans.

"His face is not too round or not too ratty or not too scowly or not too spotty- it’s just a perfect picture of mathematical symmetry. With respect to the y-axis anyway."

♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. I never read the Lottie Biggs series-it never really seemed my thing. But I really enjoyed this. Agreed about the illustrations and text sizes-it's so nice to have something different. But what's this about Yorkshire? I always got that it was in London...

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home