Saturday, July 14, 2012

REVIEW: Shattered Dreams by Ellie James

Title: Shattered Dreams by Ellie James
Pages: 352
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: 5th July, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)


Upon the death of her grandmother, Trinity arrives on her aunt's doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. Dropped into high school, she is trying her best to fit in, but there is something about her, connected to the mysterious city and her parents death, that makes her different.

When a game of truth or dare in a deserted New Orleans house gets out of control, Trinity starts to see things; twisted visions of the future that she tries to suppress. But all too quickly the dreams accelerate – terrifying images of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader goes missing, Trinity has to decide whether to step forward with what she's seen: a tough choice when the police are desperate for a suspect and she's falling in love with the missing girl's boyfriend.

Nothing prepares her for the dark odyssey that ensues, the surprising romance she finds along the way, or the shocking truths she learns. Not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her, and the future that awaits.

 --Goodreads summary

I hadn't heard of this book before it arrived in the post, but I was looking forward to reading it it because I love this kind of stuff. Before I started blogging, and during my early days of blogging, mystery stuff like this was pretty much all I read. I dunno why, but I've always been interesting in this kind of thing and I hoped to devour Shattered Dreams like I did Anne Cassidy's books.

Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy it. First of all though, I read up to around page 280 and couldn't take it anymore so had to read-slash-skim the rest. I hate leaving books unfinished and needed to see if it got better or whatever (it didn't) so that's the only reason I made myself continue reading.

The first twenty-ish pages were interesting, but didn't really keep me on the edge of my seat. After that, it took me a long time to get into the rest of the story. I didn't feel any sort of connection with the characters, Trinity in particular. There didn't seem to be anything about her that was memorable at all. There was also things about her past that were being hidden from her, and it kind of felt like she didn't really care because she wasn't really doing any digging to find out what's going on, rather somebody else had to do it for her.

I really disliked Chase. There was something about him that wasn't right and just plain creepy. Maybe it was the fact that his girlfriend disappeared and he thoughts it was okay to give his attention to his more-than-friends relationship with Trinity who ISN'T his girlfriend? He didn't feel like a love interest to me, or somebody who genuinely cared about Trinity. I don't even think we got the chance to see *why* Chase was a love interest, because the story starts after Trinity has moved to New Orleans, at this (cliched) abandoned house (OOH, scary) and then we're kind of thrown into this situation with the two of them liking each other and yeah I found it really confusing and wrong.

And I felt like not much happened, y'know? Like, there was the stuff with Jessica  going missing and Trinity's freaky visions or whatever but it just felt spaced out and disjointed. If I'm honest, despite reading about three quarters of the novel, I can't actually tell you what happened because frankly, I don't know.

I've seen reviews on Goodreads saying that this had loads of suspense and tension but I didn't feel any of it. I felt like the author tried too hard to make the story suspenseful and that's why it didn't work.

Shattered Dreams to me, just felt really awkward. And not the good kind of awkward. I'm quite disappointing and a little bit sad because I think this could've been a really great book, considering it had such an intriguing premise, and I really wanted to like it but couldn't. This is not something I would personally recommend, but I suggest you read some other reviews to get a feel of what the book is like.

“I didn't want to... want. The more you wanted, the further you had to fall.” 

♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, don't think I will be reading this one :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like it has intriguing premise, but it's a pity it didn't match up ):

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sound of this one, but I have to say I've been hearing a lot of not so great things about it! I might push it back down the TBR pile for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :D if you want to participate go to the following link http://thelibrarymousebooktails.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/versatile-book-blogger-award.html

    Keep up the great blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home